Nominations for Spirit of Service Award 2016
The Wayne C. Dunn Spirit of Service Award recognizes and honours an individual who has contributed to the mission of The Sunshine Foundation of Canada through his or her extraordinary, personal service over an extended period of time.
The award is named after its inaugural recipient, prominent London, Ontario business leader, Wayne Dunn who was a guiding light, a dedicated leader and a passionate advocate for The Sunshine Foundation of Canada for two decades. Wayne was instrumental in the growth of The Sunshine Golf Classic – an event that would become Sunshine’s largest single fundraiser over his 13 years at the helm – and for leaving behind an ongoing legacy, the County Heritage/Stevenson & Hunt Endowment Fund which supports dreams in perpetuity.
This annual award honours a remarkable individual who has made substantial and sustained contributions of his or her own personal time and talent to ensure Sunshine’s mission – making dreams come true for children with severe physical disabilities or lifethreatening illnesses – is fulfilled to the greatest extent possible. Financial support is not a criterion for this award. The award recipient must be available to attend the Award Ceremony, to be held in Fall 2016 (date and location will be determined upon selection of the recipient).
DEADLINE: MONDAY, AUGUST 15, 2016
About the Award & Award Presentation
Each honouree will receive an etched glass obelisk – symbolic of a permanent ray of sunshine – which will be presented to the honouree at the Award Ceremony.
Honourees will receive recognition at Sunshine’s Annual General Meeting and on Sunshine’s national website at www.sunshine.ca.
Honourees’ names will become part of Sunshine’s proud history. Their names will join those of other Sunshine champions who have shown exemplary leadership in making dreams come true for special children in their own communities and across Canada.
How will the award recipient be selected?
A Selection Committee made up of members of Sunshine’s National Board of Directors will review all nominations and select the winner.
How will the award recipient be notified?
The individual selected to receive this award will be notified by telephone no later than September 4, 2016 and invited to attend the Award Ceremony in Fall 2016 (date and location will be confirmed upon selection of recipient).
Support material for your Nomination
Please describe in detail why you are nominating this person and how you feel she or he fits the criteria for this award.
Please include the following as part of your submission:
- Provide background information on the nominee’s volunteer experience with Sunshine (including length of commitment, type of involvement, effort and achievements).
- Indicate what it is that makes this nominee’s contribution exceptional.
- Provide examples of the nominee’s ongoing leadership and dedication.
- Describe the nominee’s success in motivating and inspiring others.
- Describe how the individual has positively influenced the lives of the children/families served by Sunshine.
- Describe how the nominee’s contributions have affected her or his own life.
- Indicate how long you have known the nominee.
- Please include a high resolution photograph of the nominee. If selected, this photograph will accompany the media release and the article in Sunshine’s Dream Big newsletter.
DEADLINE: MONDAY, AUGUST 15, 2016